Thursday, July 2, 2009

The 'Last' Cast

Kit & KaboodleIt's the 1st of July, were in Porvoo, it's blazingly hot, the water is scorchio 22°c and we must be very optimistic indeed to go out to sea, fly fishing for pike.








Searching for PikeSince I migrated to Finland in late 06, there have been many business related ups, a few business related downs and various developments which have established me and kept me and my business afloat.
My good friend Jani is responsible for many of these opportunities to which I am eternally grateful. Without his friendship and help, I really don't know where I would be now.



Ee ar!Over the past year I'm thankful to have been much busier with my photography, there have a been some side effects however, which are my hobbies and favorite pass times have been firmly pushed to the back burner.
So far this summer, I have had a few chances to pick up a fly rod and re-acquaint myself a little.




Jani and I knew that the odds were against us today with 22°c water but we knew we would have plenty of fun.

Outta GasWe weren't wrong, after a couple of hours, Jani hawk eyed a wee vessel out on the horizon signaling for help, 'Avast me hearties!' and oo'er we went to investigate.
It turned out that our fellow dogs of the sea had run out of go juice and needed a tow to the nearest pitstop.

After such good deeds Jani suggested that we should at least be offered a little fortune from Ahti, the Lord Of the Sea.

We weren't wrong there either!





Contact with a monsterJani cast out and fished a hollow deceiver which aggravated a fair sized fish into biting, another cast provoked the same result but sadly no catch.
The size of the splash from this monster was pretty damn big and more than enough to inspire us to fish that particular area for a little longer.

We fished more nooks and crannies, spent some time cruising around, enjoying the cool ocean spray, the fantastic views and very warm weather.

Hat's Off To You SirI was having a superb day and I appreciated Jani bringing me out on the trip so much, I just had to take my hat of to him.


"Thank you Sir"





The 'Last' CastA little more cruising and fishing followed and then Jani said it's time for the 'last cast'.

The rod sang out a sharp crack and sent the mid and upper sections out with the shooting head.

So the 'last cast' indeed it was.




Slinky Fibre Pike FliesDespite our breakages and absence of catches, we had a very enjoyable day. Having a good laugh is of fundamental importance and as you can see, we laughed quite a bit.

We made some plans to make more of these trips on the coming months, the waters of Porvoo play home to some very large and healthy fish and when the water temperature is much cooler, we can bet that there will be much more action.

More to come.

Flickr Gallery

0 comments:

>> Home